Monday 15 March 2010

Rag Rug Workshop


I've just had a great day making rag-rugs (see my attempt at a rag-rug bag above!) with Jenni Stuart-Anderson in Worcestershire. If you've never tried it before, I suggest you give it a go, as not only is it quite easy to get started, it's a fun and decorative way to use up old clothes, scraps of fabric and remnants that you've got no other use for. I went to Jenni's one-day course at The Hatch, which is run by Ben and Nada. They are the most lovely couple - so welcoming, with delicious veggie food on offer too. The Hatch is an incredible place. Set in idyllic countryside, it boasts a super-cool recording studio, as well as space for all sorts of different creative workshops. I went for the B+B option. You choose to stay in the house, an artisan-built log cabin, yurt or tent. There's a calm but energetic atmosphere, and little homely touches are everywhere. I was offered a glass of wine on my arrival and there was a pretty vase of Spring flowers in my room. We joined the family for supper - a delicious homerty pie followed by chocolate and pear brownies. Next day we tucked into a really tasty soup and salad lunch. We even had the most delicious damp lemon cake for tea to break our hard work rag-rug making! It wasn't JUST about the food of course, although it really was superb! I think they should do cookery courses next. Jenni was a great tutor, introducing us to her craft through simple techniques which don't take too long to master. It will be some while before I reach her level though. She's a real artist, and twenty years in the business makes her a very hard act to follow!

No comments: