Saturday 19 December 2009

Christmas craft day


Today I am joining the fashion friends down the road for a Christmas Craft day. The idea is to make Christmas garlands and scented teacup candles. The pressure is on - as I've been told the wreath-making is serious floristry - something I'm not sure I fancy! However, I'm willing to give it a go (aided I hope by a glass or two of mulled wine). This is the sort of thing I'm meant to create - if I get anywhere close I'll be happy! First, a trip to Deptford market to see if there are any suitable flowers, and then a run up to the local park to forage for berries and glossy green leaves. Given the snow, it should feel very Christmassy - and extremely cold.


Well - just so as you know - I loved making my wreath! I had no idea flower arranging would be so absorbing - another new activity to take on board for 2010! The one one on the blue door is my first attempt - very natural, and made pretty much entirely of greenery from the local heath. Oh - I did include a few berries from someone's holly bush - naughty of me really - but I got my come uppance when the owner of said bush walked past and saw me merrily chopping away with my secateurs (in my defence it was on the communal side of the driveway!) Fortunately, with a Christmas tree tucked beneath his arm, and glowing with the festive spirit, I was permitted to go home with a few srprigs in my basket. That and a few chillies gave my wreath a welcome hit of red.

No comments: