Tuesday 29 December 2009

Left-over soup


After the Christmas chicken (yes, I jumped off the turkey train this year) I decided to make a soup from the left-overs. That meant putting the brussels, potatoes, parsnips, chipolatas, chicken and a couple of large bones in a pot with some water and a bit of stock cube. I just heated the whole lot up for about 20 minutes, took out the bones, and whizzed the soup up with the hand-held blender. It was so tasty and comforting and after all that cooking effort from the day before - so easy! Why do we always make recipes seem so complicated?

4 comments:

Josie-Mary said...

Sounds lovely :)

Affi'enia said...

We threw all the leaftovers of our dinner in a pie. You can't beat left over meals :o)

fascinator said...

Totally agree! That's what I love about Nigel Slater - he's a real "always tastes better the second time round" sort of a cook!

Damn The Broccoli said...

One of my favourite memories of my childhood christmases is how inventive my mum was at cooking leftovers. We had turkey pretty much five days in a row and never got bored!

'Secondary cooking' is ace, too many people throw away food that is perfectly suitable for eating. There are some scary figures out there about how much food is wasted to the point that Leeds is piloting a waste food collection scheme this year!

Anyway that's enough from me before a comment becomes a blog hijack!