Monday 15 February 2010

Talking of barbers....


Did you know...that barbers also used to be surgeons in Medieval times? The twirling candy-stick of a sign was no less than an indication of blood-letting services. According to Wikipedia(ok I know I'm a journalist and this isn't really a true source - but bear with me it IS fascinating!) -
The red and white stripes symbolise the bandages used during the procedure: red for the blood-stained and white for the clean bandages. Originally, these bandages were hung on the pole to dry after washing. As the bandages blew in the wind, they would twist together to form the spiral pattern similar to the stripes in the modern day barber pole. The barber pole became emblematic of the barber/surgeon's profession. Later the cloths were replaced by a painted wooden pole of red and white stripes. Could this be true - any second sources out there?

2 comments:

Floss said...

It's certainly what I was told a long time before Wiki, bit I have no source, I'm afraid. Probably my books and annuals from childhood...

Damn The Broccoli said...

Regardless of it being actually true or not, the collective mind says it is becuase everyone has heard something like this.

It's how we all know Hitler was a vegetarian and if you eat an apple core a tree will grow out of your belly button!