Monday 19 October 2009

Back in time





Imagine going back in time and waking up in the 1940's - the era when Make Do And Mend really became a reality for the population. Well that's exactly what happened to me this weekend when I spent the day at the North Yorks Moors steam valley railway in Pickering. Re-enactment groups descend each year on this little town and work their magic. I could have sworn I'd time-travelled. Of course, being a fan of forties fashion, this foray into the past suited me down to the ground. The hats and costumes were wonderful. You can't help reflecting though on the slight strangeness of it all - why this fascination with the past? The nostalgia industry is a big one - and it seems its growing. Are we looking at it all through rose coloured spectacles? Are the teenagers buying Make Do And Mend books in Topshop missing the point?

No comments: