Monday 5 October 2009

First up - Greenwich Market























It takes me about two hours, but by 10 o’clock I’m ready. I have handmade hats galore (well, I am a milliner after all!), shoe-bags made out of vintage curtains, corsages made of ribbon, customised turbans, and T-shirts that I’ve printed with a photo of youngsters celebrating VE day. I found the photo in a Greenwich antique shop, and wonder whether by some slim chance I’ll meet the now grown-up children today. My friend’s quilts help to fill up the space a little, and by the time I finish “dressing” my stall – I feel quite pleased with the results.Many people are curious about my Newsnight banner, and it provides me with a great opportunity to talk about my project – as well as to reassure them that no, Newsnight has not gone into the craft business!It’s slow at first, I seem to be a tourist curiosity rather than a serious concern, but little by little, I nudge towards the £50 mark. The stall costs £39, so if I’m to make any money at all I need to earn at least £100. The corsages do well at £3.99 each, but my best sale is a headband at £40.Running a stall is hard work but great fun. By the end of the day, I’ve almost lost my voice, I’ve spoken to so many people! If nothing else, it’s been great for publicity. As the afternoon draws to a close I count up my takings – nearly £150! So after paying for the stall, that leaves me with £110. That should get me to the Midlands and even beyond. Britain here I come!

1 comment:

Niki Fretwell said...

Well done with your stall!! - I would have loved to have come along...
I think its great what you are promoting...having been a make-do-and-mend girl for as long as I can remember...I totally get where you are coming from.
(I collect vintage hats too, which are a passion!)
Good luck with the 'Newsnight' challenge...lets hope more people will pick up on buying vintage and recycling what they already have at home.
My best wishes,
Niki